Re: Re: Question regarding ERR in /proc/interrupts.

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 15:10:57 EST

The kernel is 2.6.10.

The patch would effectively increment the ERR counter for each ERR correct?

Is there anyway to trace the path or cause of an ERR?

For instance, I know I can make one occur like this:

I have 3 promise boards in a box, when I am doing multiple transfers across 2-3 drives and doing an NFS transfer, I may hear the IBM or Hitachi disk click and the ERR will incremement or just a long pause. Also, I have used the IBM drive for 4-5+ yrs, never had any data corruption. The disks themselves are not bad. It would just be nice to understand why such spurious interrupts occur.

Dell Setup:

PCI SLOT 1 = PCI1

The PCI slots are on a riser board (Dell GX1p)

PCI1 = Closest to motherboard.

PCI1 = Intel GigE Nic
PCI2 = Promise ATA/100
PCI3 = Maxtor Promise ATA/133
PCI4 = Maxtor Promise ATA/133
PCI5 = 4 Port 10/100 NIC
ISA1 = Empty
ISA2 = Empty
ISA3 = Empty

Note: Nothing is attached to the system's IDE ports, they are disabled.
I also turned off ACPI/stuff I do not use.