Re: ieee1394 errors on attempted insmod

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 15:26:15 EST

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 13:56, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I just bought a Sony HandyCam DCR-TRV460, which has both firewire
>> and usb ports.
>>
>> But I couldn't seem to open a path to it using usb, so I plugged
>> in an old firewire card that has the TI-Lynx chipset on it. Its
>> recognized (apparently) by both dmesg and kudzu, but although I'd
>> turned on all the 1394 stuff as modules when I got ready to plug
>> the card in and rebuilt my 2.6.10-ac8 kernel, kudzu didn't load
>> any of them, and when I try to, I'm getting "-1 Unknown Symbol in
>> module" errors.
>>
>> Probably an attack of dumbass, but I'd appreciate any help that
>> can be tossed my way. ATM I'm rebuilding again with the base
>> module built in.
>
>Use modprobe instead of insmod, then there should be a logged
> message about what symbol was missing/unknown. Post that.

Ok, that worked, provided I left the .ko off the end of the name. So
now I have everything in
the /lib/modules/2.6.11-rc1/kernel/drivers/ieee1394 loaded, but I
suspect the ordering is not correct. An lsmod now:
Module Size Used by
pcilynx 19336 0
sbp2 24456 0
amdtp 12876 0
cmp 4352 1 amdtp
dv1394 21068 0
video1394 18508 0
raw1394 31852 0
[... to revelant stuff]
sg 35360 0
ohci1394 34948 3 amdtp,dv1394,video1394

Here is a snip from an lspci -v:

01:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments FireWire Controller
(rev 01) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Subsystem: Texas Instruments: Unknown device 8010
Memory at db004000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Memory at db000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

2 or 3 years ago when I was first playing with this card, it said it
needed the pcilynx module, but I think the raw device is grabbing it
first. Is that kosher, and shouldn't I have a few more devices
beside raw1394 in my devs directory?

Do you know where I can find an rpm for gscanbus, I cannot make the
tarball build here, possibly a compiler error coupled with what I'd
call poorly formed src codes. gcc is 3.3.3 here.

Thanks Randy.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)