Re: ieee1394 errors on attempted insmod

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 16:47:20 EST

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Wednesday 12 January 2005 13:56, Randy.Dunlap wrote:

Gene Heskett wrote:

Greetings;

I just bought a Sony HandyCam DCR-TRV460, which has both firewire
and usb ports.

But I couldn't seem to open a path to it using usb, so I plugged
in an old firewire card that has the TI-Lynx chipset on it. Its
recognized (apparently) by both dmesg and kudzu, but although I'd
turned on all the 1394 stuff as modules when I got ready to plug
the card in and rebuilt my 2.6.10-ac8 kernel, kudzu didn't load
any of them, and when I try to, I'm getting "-1 Unknown Symbol in
module" errors.

Probably an attack of dumbass, but I'd appreciate any help that
can be tossed my way. ATM I'm rebuilding again with the base
module built in.

Use modprobe instead of insmod, then there should be a logged
message about what symbol was missing/unknown. Post that.

Ok, that worked, provided I left the .ko off the end of the name. So now I have everything in the /lib/modules/2.6.11-rc1/kernel/drivers/ieee1394 loaded, but I suspect the ordering is not correct. An lsmod now:
Module Size Used by
pcilynx 19336 0
sbp2 24456 0
amdtp 12876 0
cmp 4352 1 amdtp
dv1394 21068 0
video1394 18508 0
raw1394 31852 0
[... to revelant stuff]
sg 35360 0
ohci1394 34948 3 amdtp,dv1394,video1394

Here is a snip from an lspci -v:

01:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments FireWire Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Subsystem: Texas Instruments: Unknown device 8010
Memory at db004000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Memory at db000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

That's not a PCILynx controller AFAIK, it seems that the
ohci1394 driver is handling it.

2 or 3 years ago when I was first playing with this card, it said it needed the pcilynx module, but I think the raw device is grabbing it first. Is that kosher, and shouldn't I have a few more devices beside raw1394 in my devs directory?

No idea on that one. Are all of the modules loading OK now?

Do you know where I can find an rpm for gscanbus, I cannot make the tarball build here, possibly a compiler error coupled with what I'd call poorly formed src codes. gcc is 3.3.3 here.

I see some here:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=gscanbus&submit=Search+...
The ones listed are all for MandrakeLinux.

Or post the gscanbus build errors (to the linux1394-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
mailing list).

--
~Randy