Re: ieee1394 errors on attempted insmod

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 18:13:21 EST

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 16:32, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

[...]
>> Here is a snip from an lspci -v:
>>
>> 01:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments FireWire
>> Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
>> Subsystem: Texas Instruments: Unknown device 8010
>> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 19
>> Memory at db004000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
>> Memory at db000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>> Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 1
>
>That's not a PCILynx controller AFAIK, it seems that the
>ohci1394 driver is handling it.

Or miss-handling it as the case may be :-)

>> 2 or 3 years ago when I was first playing with this card, it said
>> it needed the pcilynx module, but I think the raw device is
>> grabbing it first. Is that kosher, and shouldn't I have a few
>> more devices beside raw1394 in my devs directory?
>
>No idea on that one. Are all of the modules loading OK now?

It would appear so. I think now the question is, do I need some
aliases setup in my modprobe.conf in order to force the correct

>> Do you know where I can find an rpm for gscanbus, I cannot make
>> the tarball build here, possibly a compiler error coupled with
>> what I'd call poorly formed src codes. gcc is 3.3.3 here.
>
>I see some here:
>http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=gscanbus&submit=S
>earch+... The ones listed are all for MandrakeLinux.

I saw those, never been able to use a mndrk rpm here.

>Or post the gscanbus build errors (to the
> linux1394-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxx mailing list).

Did that, rather quiet list. I fixed it so it would make but its only
working with the camera turned off! If I turn it on, the shell that
launches it soon fills up with "resource temporarily unavailable"
messages.

Humm, my fix might need another. Do long self allocating strings
still need a terminating \0 in C, inside the dbl quotes? OTOH, I've
not seen either error string actually spit out (yet). I've been
under the impression that most modern compilers handle that silently
and well.

With the camera turned off, I can get this out of gscanbus:
---------------
SelfID Info
-----------
Physical ID: 0
Link active: Yes
Gap Count: 63
PHY Speed: S400
PHY Delay: <=144ns
IRM Capable: Yes
Power Class: -1W
Port 0: Not connected
Port 1: Not connected
Port 2: Not connected
Init. reset: Yes

CSR ROM Info
------------
GUID: 0x0050625600001065
Node Capabilities: 0x000083C0
Vendor ID: 0x00005062
Unit Spec ID: 0x0000005E
Unit SW Version: 0x00000001
Model ID: 0x00000000
Nr. Textual Leafes: 1

Vendor: KOUWELL ELECTRONICS CORP. **
Textual Leafes:
Linux - ohci1394

AV/C Subunits
-------------
N/A
----------------eof-----------------

With it turned on, I get the same report but it takes lots of time,
and its locked up, whereas with the camera off, the report above is
instant.

I going to shut down long enough to verify the chips on that card,
just to satisfy my own itch. I only have one, and it actually came
in a Digital Research box several years ago, staples had a 20 dollar
bill on it and I figured what the hey... I suppose I could drag out
the cd, but thats all winderz stuff, less than helpfull to an anti-M$
like me.

One other item that might bear, the card claims S400 speed, but the
camera only claims S100, is the protocol not auto-negotiating?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)