Re: thoughts on kernel security issues

From: Chris Wright
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 18:22:02 EST

* Florian Weimer (fw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> * Greg KH:
>
> >> In other words, if you allow embargoes and vendor politics, what would the
> >> new list buy that isn't already in vendor-sec.
> >
> > vendor-sec handles a lot of other stuff that is not kernel related
> > (every package that is in a distro.) This would only be for the kernel.
>
> I don't know that much about vendor-sec, but wouldn't the kernel list
> contain roughly the same set of people?

No.

> vendor-sec also has people
> from the *BSDs, I believe, but they should probably notified of Linux
> issues as well (often, similar mistakes are made in different
> implementations).

Take a look at <http://www.freebsd.org/security/index.html>. Pretty
good description. It's normal for projects to have their own security
contact to handle security issues. Once it's vetted, understood,
etc...it's normal to give vendors some heads-up.

> If the readership is the same, it doesn't make sense to run two lists,
> especially because it's not a normal list and you have to be capable
> to deal with the vetting.

It's not the same readership.

thanks,
-chris