Re: [fuse-devel] Merging?

From: Yaroslav Rastrigin
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 18:59:10 EST

Hi,
On 13 January 2005 00:33, you wrote:
> a particular filesystem and has ended up resorting to plasticfs (which
> uses the LD_PRELOAD trick - not quite satisfying but it does not
>
> require kernel patching) saying:
> > Most of the problem I have [...] will still be in a better
> > MLFUSE, which is that it requires to modify the kernel by loading a
> > module (which is often tied to one particular version of Linux which
> > means that it is tedious to maintain such module), and users hate
> > that.
Can't agree more. I don't want to release my fuse-based SMB-connector (smb
kioslave/gnome-vfs replacement :-) for exactly this reason - having released
some projects earlier , I can't afford (in terms of time) to answer emails
asking how to install fuse , where to grab it and which version, how to build
etc, so I'm eagerly awaiting when fuse will be merged and I could point to
kernel.org and required kernel version...
Right now I think -mm tree will be a good starting point to instantly increase
fuse testing base to iron out possible glitches and to ensure official
acceptance.
--
Managing your Territory since the dawn of times ...