Re: page table lock patch V15 [0/7]: overview

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 19:18:15 EST

Christoph Lameter wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Nick Piggin wrote:

Note that this was with my ptl removal patches. I can't see why Christoph's
would have _any_ extra overhead as they are, but it looks to me like they're
lacking in atomic ops. So I'd expect something similar for Christoph's when
they're properly atomic.

Pointer operations and word size operations are atomic. So this is mostly
okay.

The issue arises on architectures that have a large pte size than the
wordsize. This is only on i386 PAE mode and S/390. S/390 falls back to
the page table lock for these operations. PAE mode should do the same and
not use atomic ops if they cannot be made to work in a reasonable manner.

Yep well you should be OK then. Your implementation has the advantage
that it only instantiates previously clear ptes... hmm, no I'm wrong,
your ptep_set_access_flags path modifies an existing pte. I think this
can cause subtle races in copy_page_range, and maybe other places,
can't it?