Re: PCI lost interrupts and PLX chips

From: linux-os
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 06:52:08 EST

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Dimitris Lampridis wrote:

Hi everybody,
I noticed a conversation some days ago that also mentioned something
about PLX chips and a certain problem resulting in loss of interrupt
signals.

I'm writing a driver for a PCI-based device (an embedded USB Host
Controller) and it uses a PLX bridge (device ID 5406). Although I've set
up the device correctly and a logical analyzer shows the interrupts
being generated on the USB HC chip, nothing comes past the bridge, thus
nothing reaches the system. I use a typical pci_enable_device() followed
but some request_region() and of course request_irq() on a kernel
2.6.10-rc3 (i386 system, VIA KT133, no APIC...)
Does this have something to do with the discussion about PLX chips
mentioned above? If it does, can anybody make clear what I have to do to
see those interrupts coming?

You can find the mail in question at:
http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2005/Jan/0792.html

Thanks,
Dimitris

Make sure you execute pci_enable_device() __before__ you believe
the IRQ number in the structure.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.10 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.