2.6.10-ck4

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 09:10:25 EST

These are patches designed to improve system responsiveness. It is configurable to any workload but the default ck4 patch is aimed at the desktop and ck4-server is available with more emphasis on serverspace.

http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.10/2.6.10-ck4/

web:
http://kernel.kolivas.org
all patches:
http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/

I recommend all ck3 users upgrade.

2.6.10-ck3 was a brown paper bag release. A poorly considered last minute change made for some odd starvation problems. For this release I rewrote a large section of the staircase code that had been troubling me and been getting steadily worse. In the process I've made the semantics of resuming an old timeslice much simpler and more predictable.

Changed:
-cfq-ts-19g.diff
+cfq-ts-20.diff
Jens' latest incarnation of the cfq-timeslices patch with i/o priority support for read and write has much smoother read vs write characteristics now.

Added:
+s10_test1.diff
+s10_s10.1.diff
+s10.1_s10.2.diff
+s10.2_s10.3.diff
Staircase updates

+1504_vmscan-writeback-pages.patch
A fix for more oom-kill problems.

Thanks to the many people involved in testing the staircase changes and reporting back.

Cheers,
Con