Re: thoughts on kernel security issues

From: John Richard Moser
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 14:10:33 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Alan Cox wrote:
>
>>On Iau, 2005-01-13 at 16:38, Linus Torvalds wrote:

[...]

> Am I claiming that disallowing self-written ELF binaries gets rid of all
> security holes? Obviously not. I'm claiming that there are things that
> people can do that make it harder, and that _real_ security is not about
> trusting one subsystem, but in making it hard enough in many independent
> ways that it's just too effort-intensive to attack.

I think you can make it non-guaranteeable.

> It's the same thing with passwords. Clearly any password protected system
> can be broken into: you just have to guess the password. It then becomes a
> matter of how hard it is to "guess" - at some point you say a password is
> secure not because it is a password, but because it's too _expensive_ to
> guess/break.

You can't guarantee you can guess a password. You could for example
write a pam module that mandates a 3 second delay on failed
authentication for a user (it does it for the console currently; use 3
separate consoles and you can do the attack 3 times faster). Now you
have to guess the password with one try every 3 seconds.

aA1# 96 possible values per character, 8 characters. 7.2139x10^15
combinations. It takes 686253404.7 years to go through all those at one
every 3 seconds. You've got a good chance at half that.

This isn't "hard," it's "infeasible." I think the idea is to make it so
an attacker doesn't have to put lavish amounts of work into creating an
exploit that reliably re-exploits a hole over and over again; but to
make it so he can't make an exploit that actually works, unless it works
only by rediculously remote chance.

> So all security issues are about balancing cost vs gain. I'm convinced
> that the gain from openness is higher than the cost. Others will disagree.

Yes. Nobody code audits your binaries. You need source code to do
source code auditing. :)

> Linus
> -

- --