Re: thoughts on kernel security issues

From: John Richard Moser
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 15:06:11 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, John Richard Moser wrote:
>
>>>So all security issues are about balancing cost vs gain. I'm convinced
>>>that the gain from openness is higher than the cost. Others will disagree.
>>
>>Yes. Nobody code audits your binaries. You need source code to do
>>source code auditing. :)
>

> Oh, it's very clear that some exploits have definitely been written by
> looking at the source code with automated tools or by instrumenting
> things, and that the exploits would likely have never been found without
> source code. That's fine. We just have higher requirements in the open
> source community.

Yeah but malicious people are more determined than whitehats and
greyhats. If I'm trying to find bugs to help you fix them, I'm not
going to waste my time on running your binaries through a debugger. If
I want to use your machine as a sock puppet to attack SCO, then maybe.

In contrast, if I've got a good background in programming and want to
help you find and fix security bugs, it's not that big a deal for me to
brush over your source code. If I'm just in there to improve it or add
new features, I might even ACCIDENTALLY stumble over something. This is
where OSS becomes more secure :)

I think we're on the same page, Linus :)

> And I do think that the same is true for being open about security
> advisories: I think that to offset an open security list, we'd have to
> then have more "best practices" than a vendor-sec-type closed security
> list might need. I think it would be worth it.

It'd need control. You can start an open security advisory list if you
like, but don't just flip off the vendors who want to keep their
security advisories quiet until they have a fix.

Aside from that, go for it.

> Linus

- --