Re: [BUG] ATA over Ethernet __init calling __exit

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 16:02:36 EST

Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 13 2005, Russell King wrote:
>> In addition, please shoot the author in the other foot for:
>>
>> config ATA_OVER_ETH
>> tristate "ATA over Ethernet support"
>> depends on NET
>> default m <==== this line.
>>
>> That's not nice for embedded guys who do a "make xxx_defconfig" and
>> unsuspectingly end up with ATA over Ethernet built in for their
>> platform.
>
> That annoyed me, too. There's no reason for standard kernel driver
> modules to assume they should be selected, especially true for something
> as special case as ata over ethernet.

In general I think it was a bad idea to merge this driver at all.
The protocol is obviously broken by design - they use a 16 bit sequence
number space which has been proven for many years (in ip fragmentation)
to be far too small for modern network performance.

Also the memory allocation without preallocation in the block write
out path looks quite broken too and will most likely will lead to deadlocks
under high load.

(I wrote a detailed review when it was posted but apparently it
disappeared or I never got any answer at least)

IMHO this thing should have never been merged in this form. Can it
still be backed out?

-Andi