security contact draft

From: Chris Wright
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 16:10:55 EST

To keep the conversation concrete, here's a pretty rough stab at
documenting the policy.

Linux kernel developers take security very seriously. As such, we'd
like to know when a security bug is found so that it can be fixed and
disclosed as quickly as possible.

1) Contact

The Linux kernel security contact is $CONTACTADDR. This is a private
list of security officers who will help verify the bug report and develop
and release a fix. It is possible that the security officers will bring
in extra help from area maintainers to understand and fix the security
vulnerability.

It is preferred that mail sent to the security contact is encrypted
with $PUBKEY.

As it is with any bug, the more information provided the easier it
will be to diagnose and fix. Please review the procedure outlined in
REPORTING-BUGS if you are unclear about what information is helpful.
Any exploit code is very helpful and will not be released without
consent from the reporter unless it's already been made public.

2) Disclosure

The goal of the kernel security contact is to work with the bug submitter
to bug resolution as well as disclosure. We prefer to fully disclose
the bug as soon as possible. It is reasonable to delay disclosure when
the bug or the fix is not yet fully understood, the solution is not
well-tested or for vendor coordination. However, we expect these delays
to be short, measurable in days, not weeks or months. As a basic default
policy, we expect report to disclosure to be on the order of $NUMDAYS.