Re: swapspace layout improvements advocacy

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 13:19:33 EST

Tim Schmielau <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I recently found out that 2.6 kernels degrade horribly when going into
> swap. On my dual PIII-850 with as little as 256 mb ram, I can easily
> demonstrate that by opening about 40-50 instances of konquerer with large
> tables, many images and such things. When the machine is into 80-120 mb of
> the 256 mb swap partition, it becomes almost unusable. Even the desktop
> background picture needs ~20sec to update, not to talk about any windows'
> contents. And you can literally hear the reason for it: the harddisk is
> seeking like crazy.
>
> I've applied Ingo Molnars swapspace-layout-improvements-2.6.9-rc1-bk12-A1
> port of the patch to a 2.6.11-rc1 kernel, and it handles the same workload
> much smoother. It's slow, but you can work with it.

Well I'm surprised. I ran a couple of silly tests and wasn't able to
demonstrate any benefit. But I didn't persist at all due to general inbox
overload :(

> I just wonder why noone else complained yet.

They're all too polite?

> Are systems with tight memory constraints so uncommon these days?

Relatively, but I think we do have some fairly technical people on this
list who push their systems that hard, which is appreciated. I'll add the
patch to the -mm lineup for a while..