Re: swapspace layout improvements advocacy

From: Tim Schmielau
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 21:28:18 EST

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Barry K. Nathan wrote:

> I haven't tried the patch in question (unless it's in any Fedora
> kernels), but I've noticed that the single biggest step to improve
> swapping performance in 2.6 is to use the CFQ scheduler, not the AS
> scheduler. (That's also why Red Hat/Fedora kernels use CFQ as the
> default scheduler.)

Yes, I also use CFQ. Didn't dare to try with the anticipatory scheduler.

Since Andrew was so sceptical, I tested a bit more, and it's not as easily
reproducible as I wrote. There don't seem to be any problems on a freshly
booted system. It only happens after using the system for some time. But I
think that's only natural as the virtal->physical mapping needs to be
disturbed before seeing any problems.

Tim