Re: Possible GPL Violation of Linux in Amstrad's E3 Videophone.

From: Jonathan McDowell
Date: Sat Jan 15 2005 - 08:48:39 EST

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 09:48:52PM +0000, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 04:59:44PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > If anyone has a copy of the emailer source btw (or gets one for review
> > so has a download option ;)) then it would be nice to stick it up for
> > ftp for all.
> No one seems to have done this, and the offer Amstrad makes requires the
> sending off of £25 to them to cover admin and distribution costs rather
> than allowing a download of it. I did this a few days ago so will
> hopefully hear from them in the next week or so.

I've now received this and it's linked from:

http://www.earth.li/~noodles/hardware-e3.html

Interesting (to me at least) points:

* Camera source included and seems to present as a standard v4l device.
* The keyboard driver is a module (not included) - there's a stub
present presumably so basic init works.
* The Pegasus USB networking module is compiled in; I've confirmed it
initialises such a device, but see no network traffic (CONFIG_IP_PNP
and friends are enabled in the .config provided, but I guess this may
be from a debug tree?)
* There's Belkin USB serial device support in the .config as well, but I
can't see any output when I hook up such a device.

I've setup a list at:

for anyone who wants to discuss the hardware/software of the device.

What I'd really like to see is a dump of the flash from the device, in
the hope that the startup scripts might do something with the ethernet.
However I don't have the appropriate kit to be able to do this.
Alternatively it looks like there's a serial console on ttyS0 (UART1 on
the OMAP?), but I can't see any obvious pads where that's brought out
to.

(Oh, and as a semi related aside; if anyone has GPL contacts in Linksys
I'd be most interested to know about them - I'm completely failing to
get hold of kernel source for the WMA11B, which runs 2.4.17-rmk3-cot1.)

J.

--
"I can see an opening for the four lusers of the Apocalypse... 'I
didn't change anything', 'My e-mail doesn't work', 'I can't print' and