Re: Linux 2.4.29-rc2

From: Marcelo Tosatti
Date: Sat Jan 15 2005 - 16:32:57 EST

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 09:50:02PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 09:43:09AM -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> >
> > Hi Adrian!

> > > OK, this seems to be the problem:
> > > modutils before 2.4.10 don't know about EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL.
> > >
> > > Please upgrade modutils on fsa01 and report whether it fixes the
> > > problem.
> >
> > Yes, thats the right solution - however I think it might be worth to have
> > the non-GPL versions. Several old distros ship modutils older than 2.4.10
> > - eg SuSE Linux 7.1 (Oct 2001).
>
> Do a grep for EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL in the 2.4.29-rc2 sources.
>
> It seems for some reason people didn't scream in older 2.4 releases that
> already had the same problem in several places.
>
> I see you have applied both my patch documenting modutils 2.4.10 was
> required and the EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL -> EXPORT_SYMBOL patch for tty_io.c .
>
> I don't like this mixed approach. IMHO, there are two clean solutions:
> 1. document modutils 2.4.10 was required, undo the EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL ->
> EXPORT_SYMBOL changes in tty_io.c
> 2. undo the EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL -> EXPORT_SYMBOL changes in tty_io.c and
> change module.h to #define EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL to EXPORT_SYMBOL
>
> Both approaches have their obvious advantages and disadvantages, but
> they don't have the flaw that they special case tty_io.c .

Adrian,

I know of the other GPL exports but no one complained about problems with them. :)

Yes, you are right, to be orthogonal and clean it would be necessary to do
require modutils-2.4.10 and have EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL.

I just dont want to break existing user setups - due to the security problems
many might upgrade.

I'm just trying to be user-friendly.