Testing optimize-for-size suitability?

From: Steve Snyder
Date: Sun Jan 16 2005 - 10:41:54 EST

Is there a benchmark or set of benchmarks that would allow me to test the
suitability of the CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE kernel config option?

It seems to me that the benefit of this option is very dependant on the
amount of CPU cache installed, with the compiler code generation being a
secondary factor. The use, or not, of CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE is
basically an act of faith without knowing how it impacts my particular
environment.

I've got a Pentium4 CPU with 512KB of L2 cache, and I'm using GCC v3.3.3.
How can I determine whether or not CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE should be
used for my system?

Thanks.