Re: 2.6.11-rc1-mm1

From: Karim Yaghmour
Date: Sun Jan 16 2005 - 14:42:02 EST

Hello Christoph,

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Why would you want anything but read access?

Fine, we can put it read-only, we'll drop the "mode" field.

> I think random access is overkill. Keeping the code simple is more
> important and user-space can post-process it.

it's overkill if you're thinking in terms of kbs or mbs of data.
it isn't if you're looking at gbs and 100gbs. please read my
other posting as to who is using this and how.

but regardless of access, you have to have some way of telling
relayfs of the size of the channel you want. bufsize, nbufs
just tell relayfs the size of the buffers you want and how many
buffers there are in the ring. both of which are really basic
to any sort of buffering scheme.

> Auto-resizing sounds like a really bad idea.

Ok, it will go.

> And why can't you do this from that code? It just needs an initcall-like
> thing that runs after mounting of relayfs.

Ok, we'll leave it to the caller to do a relay_write() with his
init-bufs at startup.

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits