Re: MMC Driver RFC

From: Alan Cox
Date: Sun Jan 16 2005 - 18:39:24 EST

On Sul, 2005-01-16 at 23:17, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On the subject of patents, the whole idea behind SD is that there aren't
> patents as for a patent to exist, we'd have some publicly available
> information on how SD works. We're not breaking any copyrights as I nobody
> involved with this code has see any code to copy from.
>
> So in short, I can't see any reason we can't put the code we have into the
> kernel...

Given that companies like Intel have been published the SD
initialisation sequences since 2002 and nobody has taken any action I
can't see this as being credibly a trade secret or obtained maliciously.
Nor does the document state anything is secret.

See Intel app note 278533-001 "Using SDCard and SDIO with Intel (r)
PXA250 Applications Processor MMC Controller"

http://www.intel.com/design/pca/applicationsprocessors/applnots/278533-001.htm

If there were any secrets the owners appear to have failed to take any
action neccessary to defend them.

Alan