smbfs in 2.6.8 SMP kernel

From: Brian Henning
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 10:10:16 EST

Hello,

I've just rebuilt my 2.6.8 kernel to enable SMP for my dual Xeons. Everything seems to work great, except now smbfs is broken. If I boot the non-SMP kernel, smbfs works perfectly; however, if I boot the SMP kernel, most file creations/modifications in smbfs-mounted directories hang for a long time and end with errors such as the following example:

/home/me/smb/mounted/dir: $ touch testfile
touch: setting times of `testfile': Input/output error
/home/me/smb/mounted/dir: $ rm testfile
/home/me/smb/mounted/dir: $ echo "Hello, Dave." | cat > testfile
/home/me/smb/mounted/dir: $ cat testfile
Hello, Dave.
/home/me/smb/mounted/dir: $ echo "I'm scared, Dave." | cat > testfile
bash: testfile: Input/output error
/home/me/smb/mounted/dir: $ cat testfile
/home/me/smb/mounted/dir: $ ls -l testfile
-rwxr--r-- 1 me root 0 2005-01-17 09:50 testfile

Now that I am aware of the problem, I know to avoid triggering it, but imagine my dismay when, after attempting to save an edited file, I found that its size had been reduced to zero!

I'm a kernel-building newbie, so I'm sure my problem is due to me overlooking something. I tried building smbfs into the kernel, but that made no difference. I'd be ever thankful if someone would point me in the right direction, as I would certainly enjoy fully using my processors while also being able to use smbfs.

Other potentially pertinent data:
Distro: Debian Sarge
Kernel Version: 2.6.8 custom
Arch: Xeon-HT/EMT (x2)