Re: [discuss] booting a kernel compiled with -mregparm=0

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 13:23:54 EST

Tigran Aivazian wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

Actually, having cc'd Linus made me think very _carefully_ about what I
say and I went and checked how the userspace does it, as I couldn't
believe that such fine piece of software as gdb would be broken as well.
And to my surprize I discovered that gdb (when a program is compiled with
-g) works fine! I.e. it shows the function arguments correctly. And

so why don't you use kgdb instead of kdb ?

If kdb was some dead unmaintained piece of software then, yes, I would follow your advice and switch to kgdb. But kdb is a very nice and actively maintained piece of work, so it should be fixed to show the parameter values correctly in the backtrace.

That's a kdb maintainer issue. The x86-64 folks have nicely provided a set of libraries to do backtraces, etc. Your previous rant is just so far off base it's not even funny.

-hpa