Re: [patch 2/2] mm: Reimplementation of alloc_percpu

From: Ravikiran G Thirumalai
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 10:14:24 EST

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 12:30:32PM +1100, Rusty Russell wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 00:06 +0530, Ravikiran G Thirumalai wrote:
> > The allocator can be easily modified to use __per_cpu_offset[] table at a later
> > stage by:
> > 1. Allocating ALIGN(__per_cpu_end - __per_cpu_start, PAGE_SIZE) for the
> > static percpu areas and populating __per_cpu_offset[] offset table
> > 2. Making PCPU_BLKSIZE same as the static per cpu area size above
> > 3. Serving dynamic percpu requests from modules etc from blocks by
> > returning ret -= __per_cpu_offset[0] from a percpu block. This way
> > modules need not have a limit on static percpu areas.
>
> Unfortunately ia64 breaks (3). They have pinned TLB entries covering
> 64k, which they put the static per-cpu data into. This is used for
> local_inc, etc, and David Mosberger loved that trick (this is why my
> version allocated from that first reserved block for modules' static
> per-cpu vars).

Hmmm... then if we change (1) to allocate PERCPU_ENOUGH_ROOM, then the math
will work out? We will still have a limit on static per-cpu areas in
modules, but alloc_percpu can use the same __per_cpu_offset table[].
Will this work?

But, what I am concerned is about arches like x86_64 which currently
do not maintain the relation:
__per_cpu_offset[n] = __per_cpu_offset[0] + static_percpu_size * n ---> (A)
correct me if I am wrong, but both our methods for alloc_percpu to use
per_cpu_offset depend on the static per-cpu areas being virtually
contiguous (with relation (A) above being maintained).
If arches cannot sew up node local pages to form a virtually contiguous
block, maybe because setup_per_cpu_areas happens early during boot,
then we will have a problem.

So a common solution could be:
Declare a dynamic percpu offset table 'alloc_percpu_offset' or
something like that, make it a static per-cpu variable. Then, the
blocks can be of any uniform size, we just have to fill
alloc_percpu_offset and use
(RELOC_HIDE(ptr, per_cpu(alloc_percpu_offset, cpu))))
to get to to the cpu local versions. I think dereference speeds can be
fast with this method too since we use __per_cpu_offset[] indirectly.
Of course this is not needed if all arches can do node local allocation
and maintain relation (A) for static per-cpu areas.

Thanks,
Kiran