Re: kbuild: Implicit dependence on the C compiler

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 22:37:24 EST

Matt Mackall wrote:

I would argue that "name of gcc has changed" is possibly a condition
that does more harm than good. It is just as frequently used to have
wrappers, like distcc, as it is to have different versions.

Disagree. I switch compilers all the time and kbuild does the right
thing for me.

I do occassionally feel your 'make install' pain and some sort of
'make __install' might be called for.

As I said, I don't mind the default being there, it's certainly consistent with the default being safe. However, not being able to override it is bad.

-hpa