Re: [patch 1/3] spinlock fix #1, *_can_lock() primitives

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 13:13:35 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > You are right about UP, and the patch below adds the UP variants. It's
> > analogous to the existing wrapping concept that UP 'spinlocks' are
> > always unlocked on UP. (spin_can_lock() is already properly defined on
> > UP too.)
>
> Looking closer, it _looks_ like the spinlock debug case never had a
> "spin_is_locked()" define at all. Or am I blind? Maybe UP doesn't
> want/need it after all?

i remember frequently breaking the UP build wrt. spin_is_locked() when
redoing all the spinlock primitives for PREEMPT_RT.

looking closer, here's the debug variant it appears:

/* without debugging, spin_is_locked on UP always says
* FALSE. --> printk if already locked. */
#define spin_is_locked(x) \
({ \
CHECK_LOCK(x); \
if ((x)->lock&&(x)->babble) { \
(x)->babble--; \
printk("%s:%d: spin_is_locked(%s:%p) already locked by %s/%d\n", \
__FILE__,__LINE__, (x)->module, \
(x), (x)->owner, (x)->oline); \
} \
0; \
})

(the comment is misleading a bit, this _is_ the debug branch. The
nondebug branch has a spin_is_locked() definition too.)

Ingo