Re: LVM2

From: Steve Lord
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 17:44:36 EST

Trever L. Adams wrote:
It is for a group. For the most part it is data access/retention. Writes
and such would be more similar to a desktop. I would use SATA if they
were (nearly) equally priced and there were awesome 1394 to SATA bridge
chips that worked well with Linux. So, right now, I am looking at ATA to
1394.

So, to get 2TB of RAID5 you have 6 500 GB disks right? So, will this
work within on LV? Or is it 2TB of diskspace total? So, are volume
groups pretty fault tolerant if you have a bunch of RAID5 LVs below
them? This is my one worry about this.

Second, you mentioned file systems. We were talking about ext3. I have
never used any others in Linux (barring ext2, minixfs, and fat). I had
heard XFS from IBM was pretty good. I would rather not use reiserfs.

Any recommendations.

Trever

They all forgot to mention one more limitation, the maximum filesystem
size supported by the address_space structure in linux. If you are running
on ia32, then you get stuck with 2^32 filesystem blocks, or 16 Tbytes in
one filesystem because of the way an address space structure is used to
cache the metadata. If you use an Athlon 64 that limitation goes away.

Steve