Re: oom killer gone nuts

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 03:43:59 EST

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 09:09:41AM +0100, Jens Axboe wrote:
> Jan 20 13:22:15 wiggum kernel: oom-killer: gfp_mask=0xd1

This was a GFP_KERNEL|GFP_DMA allocation triggering this. However it
didn't look so much out of DMA zone, there's 4M of ram free. Could be
the ram was relased by another CPU in the meantime if this was SMP (or
even by an interrupt in UP too).

Could very well be you'll get things fixed by the lowmem_reserve patch,
that will reserve part of the dma zone, so with it you're sure it
couldn't have gone below 4M due slab allocs like skb.

I recommend trying again with the patches applied, the oom stuff is so
buggy right now that it's better you apply the fixes and try again, and
if it still happens we know it's a regression.

Thanks!