Re: knfsd and append-only attribute: "operation not permitted"

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 12:09:18 EST

fr den 21.01.2005 Klokka 11:23 (-0500) skreiv Aaron D. Ball:

> OK, but that certainly shouldn't preclude read access. The way it is
> now, you can't even list append-only directories. It seems like this
> check should treat append-only files as read-only, only failing to open
> them if write access is requested, rather than failing all the time like
> it does now.

Agreed.

> In this particular case, I'm not using append-only files, but rather
> using immutable files and append-only directories to create an archival
> space where things can be added but not changed. Even if the protocol
> can't deal with append-only regular files, isn't it possible to allow
> mkdir but not rmdir?

Append-only directories should be no problem as far as the protocol
goes, and neither should immutable files.

I suggest you take this bug to the NFS mailing list
nfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or talk directly to the knfsd maintainer Neil
Brown (neilb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

Cheers,
Trond