Re: FATAL: Error inserting fm -- invalid module format

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 12:16:52 EST

Srinivas G. wrote:
Dear All,

We were developed a block device driver on linux-2.6.x kernel. We want
to distribute our driver as a RPM Binary. We are using the SuSE 9.1 with
2.6.5-7.71 kernel.

We build the RPM file using the fm.ko file on SuSE 9.1 with 2.6.5-7.71
kernel where fm.ko indicates our Block Driver module. When I try to run
the RPM file on a different kernel version it has given the following
error message.

FATAL: Error inserting fm
(/lib/modules/2.6.4-52-default/kernel/drivers/block/fm.ko): Invalid
module format

As I know the error message indicates that I compiled the driver under
2.6.5-7.71 kernel where as I am trying to insert the module in
2.6.4-52-default kernel.

My question is: Is it possible to compile and build a .ko file with out
including the version information? (i.e. I want to build a RPM file
using fm.ko file which was compiled using 2.6.5-7.71 and to run the RPM
file on a different kernel versions.)

We are not very sure of how to achieve this. Please help us address this issue.

So you want to get around a mechanism that is preventing your driver
from causing an Oops because of different data structures, different
kernel APIs, etc., between those version? or any versions?

This is just asking for trouble. IOW, forget it.

--
~Randy