Re: Advise on: panic - Attempting to free lock with active blocklist

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Sat Jan 22 2005 - 15:08:41 EST

fr den 21.01.2005 Klokka 18:34 (-0800) skreiv Stuart Sheldon:

> I had the same panic and screen error with a 2.6.9 PIII SMP system
> acting as an NFS client. This was after downgrading from a 2.6.10 kernel
> that was panic'ing in the same way. I reverted to 2.6.8 but left the
> Server (also a PIII SMP system) running 2.6.9. This occurred during
> moderate to heavy NFS activity. The patch referenced in
> http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2005/Jan/1237.html appeared to
> resolve the panic with 2.6.10, but I was having strange things happen,

That patch is already in 2.6.11-rc2.

> like failing to release file locks when the client reboots. This is a
> production system and needs to be available for users. I am currently
> trying to piece together another smp box to test with. I will post more
> if I can duplicate the problem on demand.

Failing to release file locks when the client reboots is not an NFS
client problem: that is handled entirely by the rpc.statd daemons and
the server. What kernel are you using on the server, and which version
of nfs-utils?

Cheers,
Trond
--