Re: Kernel 2.6.11-rc1/2 goes Postal on LTP

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Sun Jan 23 2005 - 22:36:48 EST

Bryce Harrington wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Chris Wright wrote:

* Bryce Harrington (bryce@xxxxxxxx) wrote:

Well, I'm not having much luck. strace isn't installed on the system
(and is giving errors when trying to compile it). Also, the ssh session
(and sshd) quits whenever I try running the following growfiles command
manually, so I'm having trouble replicating the kernel panic manually.

Sounds very much like oom killer gone nuts.

# growfiles -W gf14 -b -e 1 -u -i 0 -L 20 -w -l -C 1 -T 10 glseek19 glseek19.2

Anyway, if anyone wants to investigate this further, I can provide
access to the machine (email me). Otherwise, I'm probably just going to
wait for -rc2 and see if the problem's still there.

Wait no longer, it's here ;-)

Hmm, still the kernel is going nutso. LTP and everything else on the
system is getting killed, including the test manager process.

Below's a bit more info scraped from the console. This is from a run on
RH 9.0. It looks like LTP got through 722 of its 2270 tests before the
kernel goes postal on it. This time it got through all the growfile
commands before it died (see bottom of this post), however it looks like
the same growfile cmd I reported earlier is the one causing the problem.

When I run:

mkfifo gffifo18;
strace growfiles -b -W gf13 -e 1 -u -i 0 -L 30 -I r -r 1-4096 gffifo18 &> /tmp/growfiles_strace_log.txt

The following happens:

* I get this strace log: http://developer.osdl.org/bryce/growfiles_strace_log.txt
* The ssh session dies and returns to login prompt
* A bunch of stuff similar to below is spewed to console

Similar for me, easy to reproduce (3 times today).
Here's a kernel messages log, with 32 processes killed,
mostly hotplug, but also bash (2x), runltp, & some daemons.

I could not login and do anything else, but I could/did
SysRq-T, P, M, S, U, B to reboot. These are also in the log.

log:
http://developer.osdl.org/rddunlap/oom/oom_kill.txt

config:
http://developer.osdl.org/rddunlap/oom/config-2611rc2