Re: inter_module_get and __symbol_get

From: Terence Ripperda
Date: Tue Jan 25 2005 - 00:34:25 EST

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:44:18AM +1100, kaos@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Weak references are only done once, when the module is loaded. We
> already use weak references for static determination of symbol
> availability. inter_module_* and __symbol_* are aimed at the dynamic
> reference problem, not static.

this is probably a stupid question, but how are weak references used?
Usually if a symbol is referenced by a module, but isn't resolved at
load time, the module refuses to load. dynamic references allow a way
to work around this for some applications, but I'm unfamiliar with
weak references being used in this regard.

or does that statement really mean "if we supported weak references,
they would only be done once..."

Thanks,
Terence