Re: [patch, 2.6.11-rc2] sched: /proc/sys/kernel/rt_cpu_limit tunable

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Jan 25 2005 - 01:30:10 EST

Jack O'Quin wrote:
Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> writes:

* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

this patch adds the /proc/sys/kernel/rt_cpu_limit tunable: the maximum
amount of CPU time all RT tasks combined may use, in percent. Defaults
to 80%.

just apply the patch to 2.6.11-rc2 and you should be able to run e.g. "jackd -R" as an unprivileged user.

This is a far better idea from an API perspective. We can continue
writing to the POSIX realtime standard interfaces. Yet users can
actually take advantage of them. I like it.

This still doesn't solve your privlige problem though. If I can't
renice something as a regular user, it makes no sense to allow such
realtime behaviour.

I still think the ulimit patches aren't a bad idea to solve your
privilege problem. At that point, is there still a need for
rt_cpu_limit?

Nick