Re: [patch 1/13] Qsort

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Date: Tue Jan 25 2005 - 05:14:09 EST

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 07:51, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > FWIW, we already have a Shell sort for the ngroups stuff in
> > kernel/sys.c:groups_sort() that could be made generic.
>
> Sounds like a good plan. Any takers?

It would slow down the groups case (unless we leave the specialized version
in). Gcc doesn't inline a cmp function pointer, and a C preprocessor
templatized version would be really ugly. A variant with of this routine with
qsort like interface should be good enough for nfsacl and xfs though.

Nevertheless, xfs and nfsacl have very similar requirements:

nfsacl: at most 1024 elements; 8-byte elements (16 on 64-bit archs)

xfs (from Nathan): at most 1024 elements (with 64K blocksize); 8-byte or
larger elements

Cheers.
--
Andreas Gruenbacher <agruen@xxxxxxx>