Re: journaled filesystems -- known instability; Was: XFS: inode withst_mode == 0

From: Jeffrey Hundstad
Date: Tue Jan 25 2005 - 10:15:40 EST

Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 21:31, Jeffrey Hundstad wrote:

For more of this look up subjects:
Bad things happening to journaled filesystem machines
Oops in kjournald

That seems to have been due to the xattr problems recently fixed in
Linus's tree. The xattr race was allowing one process to delete an
unshared xattr block while another was trying to share it, and the
journaling code was getting upset when the second process then tried to
commit the now-deleted block.

Thanks for the update.

I wonder if there are several problems. Alan Cox claimed that there was a fix in linux-2.6.10-ac10 that might alleviate the problem.

On linux-2.6.10-ac10 I've got one machine that's been up for 6 days now that would never last more then 1 before. On the other hand I have one machine that did die after two days.

Does linux-2.6.11-rc2 have both the linux-2.6.10-ac10 fix and the xattr problem fixed? If so, I'll test there.

--
Jeffrey Hundstad