Re: thoughts on kernel security issues

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jan 25 2005 - 13:09:24 EST

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> No,perhaps it isn't clear. If A changes the way a lock is used (for
> example), then all the places which were using the lock the old way have
> to use it the new way, or lockups or similar bad behaviour occur.

Sure. Some patches are like that, but even then you can split it out so
that one patch does _only_ that part, and is verifiable as doing only that
part.

It's also pretty rare. We've had a few big ones like that, notably when
moving a BKL around (moving it from the VFS layer down into each
individual filesystem). And I can't see that really happening in a
security-only patch.

Linus