Re: make flock_lock_file_wait static

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Wed Jan 26 2005 - 11:13:55 EST

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 10:01:00AM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 10:58 -0800, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> > > http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/unused
> > >
> > > has the list of symbols that are unused on an i386 allmodconfig based on
> > > the -bk tree 2 days ago.
> >
> > <donning asbestos suit with the tungsten pinstripes...>
> >
> > SAN Filesystem is an out-of-tree GPL module that uses the following:
>
> any plans to submit this for inclusion?

Sigh! Given that the core of the SAN Filesystem client is a C++
module that runs under Linux, AIX, Windows, &c, I don't have great
hopes for its being accepted for inclusion. :-(

> > o blk_get_queue(): used to submit I/O requests using the
> > make_request_fn().
>
> sounds really like the wrong level, any reason to not use submit_bio /
> submit_bh instead? Every piece of code outside the core block layer that
> I've seen that tries to do this has been wrong/broken to date.

I will have them look into this possibility.

> > o sock_setsockopt(): used to control communication with other
> > nodes in the SAN Filesystem.
>
> again this very much looks like a misuse; sock_setsocketopt() gets a
> *userspace* pointer as argument. Bad API to use (and if you look at
> CIFS, they would also like a real nice internal api instead, but don't
> use sock_setsockopt() since it's the wrong api)

A better API would indeed be a good thing! I tried a quick search to
find a discussion, but came up dry. If you have a pointer or contact,
please let me know. I am also checking with the CIFS people that I know.

> > SDD is a binary module that has committed to get itself to GPL on its
> > first release after December 31, 2005. It uses:
> >
> > o __read_lock_failed() and __write_lock_failed(): due to SDD's use
> > of read_lock() and write_lock(). So, if the plan is to change
> > read_lock() and write_lock() to do something different, never mind!
>
> those two exports are "internal" following from copying the
> implementation of read_lock() into the code before compiling it (by the
> preprocessor) and currently of course won't go away unless readlocks
> change/go away.

OK, sounds good!

> Another question: is the SDD module even available for mainline kernels,
> or is it only available for distribution kernels ?

Distributions only.

Thanx, Paul