Re: IEEE-1394 and disks

From: Jody McIntyre
Date: Wed Jan 26 2005 - 19:27:01 EST

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 12:53:32PM -0700, Trever L. Adams wrote:
> I have a few questions: How stable is firewire (running at 800Mbps or
> faster, if any is available yet)? How stable is the Linux subsystem,
> especially for firewire disks? Is there any particularly 800Mbps bridge
> chips that should be avoided or used?

The sbp2 subsystem has stability problems, but I'm not exactly sure what
they are. The core also has a few issues, but I don't think they'll
affect you. This assumes you're running the latest from linux1394.org
svn as there are quite a few unmerged changes (which will hopefully make
it in to 2.6.12).

> How stable is the subsystem when the chain is nearly full (62 devices is
> full right?)

Having lots of devices shouldn't make any difference, one way or the
other. 62 devices is full. For performance reasons, a tree topology is
preferred to daisy chaining all the devices.

> How many controllers may be in the system before the Firewire subsystem
> gets confused?

Again, it shouldn't matter. I'm not sure if the SCSI subsystem imposes
a limit on the number of drives.

I suggest asking future 1394 questions on one of the linux1394 lists:
http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=2252 - someone may even have
tried what you're attempting.

Jody