Possible bug in keyboard.c (2.6.10)

From: Sasa Stevanovic
Date: Wed Jan 26 2005 - 22:25:12 EST

Hi,

I had some problems with my laptop's onetouch keys and it eventually led me to keyboard.c file from 2.6.10 kernel (Vojtech Pavlik and others). There may be a bug in the file, please read below.

Well, actually, when all omnibook/messages/setkeycodes/hotkeys/xev/showkey etc stuff is stripped off, what remains is that x86_keycodes array has only first 240 members initialized, while remaining 16 are set to 0 due to [256]:

static unsigned short x86_keycodes[256] = { <only 240 here> };

(For my scenario, workaround was possible.)

I am not sure if this is a bug or not; it worked in 2.4.18 without workaround. Might be that someone wanted to prevent reading invalid memory. There are many versions of the file/array definition found on the web, none of which has a comment about this.

Please also use my email address <mg94c18@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> if you respond to this. I am a member but not sure for how long (depends on number of messages/day).

Thanks,
Sasa