Re: USB API, ioctl's and libusb

From: DervishD
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 06:26:27 EST

Hi Johannes :)

* Johannes Erdfelt <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxx> dixit:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2005, DervishD <lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > * Oliver Neukum <oliver@xxxxxxxxxx> dixit:
> > > You are supposed to use libusb.
> > That's irrelevant, the program I was trying to fix uses libusb.
> > My question is about the preferred kernel interface, 'cause I don't
> > know if it's the ioctl one or the URB one (well, I'm calling 'URB'
> > interface the API that is implemented using URB's inside the kernel).
> ioctl() calls are for userspace only.

I was pretty sure of that. My doubt was the other way round. I
was assuming that the functions in <linux/usb.h> were syscalls, that
they're not.

> It just so happens there is an ioctl() call that provides an URB like
> interface and an ioctl() call that provides a synchronous call to do
> a control message.

Didn't knew about that... Thanks a lot for the info!. Is there
any documentation available for the ioctl USB interface to the
kernel? Any API guide or something like that?

Thanks :)

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736