Re: Patch 4/6 randomize the stack pointer

From: Jirka Kosina
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 17:33:47 EST

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, John Richard Moser wrote:

> Your patch 5/6 for mmap rand is also small. 1M is trivial, though I'd
> imagine mmap() rand would pose a bit more confusion in some cases at
> least, even for small ranges.
> Still, this is a joke, like OpenBSD's stackgap.

Also, besides security implications of stack randomization, there is one
more aspect that should not be forgotten - stack randomization (even for
quite small range) could be useful to distribute a pressure on cache
(which may not be fully associative in all cases), so if everyone runs
with stack on the same address, it could impose quite noticeable stress on
some cachelines (those representing stack addresses), while other will
be idling unused.

I thought that this was the original purpose of the "stack randomization"
which is shipped for example by RedHat kernels, as the randomization is
quite small and easy to bruteforce, so it can't serve too much as a buffer
overflow protection.

--
JiKos.