Re: [patch, 2.6.10-rc2] sched: fix ->nr_uninterruptible handlingbugs

From: Paul Jackson
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 21:17:26 EST

True - thanks - including the part about the cost of locking bugs.

My question was poorly phrased - the code speaks the answer to the
real question I had:

$ grep define.atomic_ include/asm-ia64/atomic.h | head -2
#define atomic_read(v) ((v)->counter)
#define atomic_set(v,i) (((v)->counter) = (i))

An atomic_read() of a one word counter on ia64 is just a load, and an
atomic_set() is just a store. This is unlike the more difficult
atomic_inc, atomic_dec, atomic_add, atomic_mutilate, ... calls that
require something fancier, and I presume more painful for that CPUs
innards.

Good. Thanks.

--
I won't rest till it's the best ...