Re: [patch, 2.6.11-rc2] sched: RLIMIT_RT_CPU_RATIO feature

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 03:42:19 EST

* Jack O'Quin <joq@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > i'm wondering, couldnt Jackd solve this whole issue completely in
> > user-space, via a simple setuid-root wrapper app that does nothing else
> > but validates whether the user is in the 'jackd' group and then keeps a
> > pipe open to to the real jackd process which it forks off, deprivileges
> > and exec()s? Then unprivileged jackd could request RT-priority changes
> > via that pipe in a straightforward way. Jack normally gets installed as
> > root/admin anyway, so it's not like this couldnt be done.
>
> Perhaps.
>
> Until recently, that didn't work because of the longstanding rlimits
> bug in mlockall(). For scheduling only, it might be possible.
>
> Of course, this violates your requirement that the user not be able to
> lock up the CPU for DoS. The jackd watchdog is not perfect.

there is a legitimate fear that if it's made "too easy" to acquire some
sort of SCHED_FIFO priority, that an "arm's race" would begin between
desktop apps, each trying to set themselves to SCHED_FIFO (or SCHED_ISO)
and advising users to 'raise the limit if they see delays' - just to get
snappier than the rest.

thus after a couple of years we'd end up with lots of desktop apps
running as SCHED_FIFO, and latency would go down the drain again.

(yeah, this feels like going back to the drawing board.)

Ingo