Re: PNP and bus association

From: Pierre Ossman
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 10:53:10 EST

Randy.Dunlap wrote:

Pierre Ossman wrote:

I recently tried out adding PNP support to my driver to remove the hassle of finding the correct parameters for it. This, however, causes it to show up under the pnp bus, where as it previously was located under the platform bus.

Is the idea that PNP devices should only reside on the PNP bus or is there some magic available to get the device to appear on several buses? It's a bit of a hassle to search in two different places in sysfs depending on if PNP is used or not.

Also, the PNP bus doesn't really say that much about where the device is physically connected. The other bus types usually give a hint about this.

Not to take away from your question, but:
Is there "the PNP bus"? I've seen an ISA bus that (sort of)
supports PNP, PCI PNP, NuBus PNP, USB PNP, IEEE 1394 PNP, etc.

It's not a physical bus but it is a bus as far as the kernel is concerned. And that's really my problem. I want it to support PNP, but also to associate with the physical bus it's connected to.

Rgds
Pierre

PS. Your outgoing mail server gives the wrong HELO