Re: raid 1 - automatic 'repair' possible?

From: Ric Wheeler
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 11:41:57 EST

Having looked at a lot of disks, I think that it is definitely worth forcing a write to try and invoke the remap. With large drives, you usually several bad sectors in the normal case (drive vendors allocate up to a couple thousand spare sectors just for remapping).

Depending on the type of drive error, the act of writing is likely to clean the questionable sector and leave you with a perfectly fine disk.

Ric