Verify system io addresses

From: Jeff . Fellin
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 12:13:52 EST

I want to develop a device driver that would allow access to board
registers and memory that is addressable
on the system bus. The reason for this is to allow hardware developers to
access board registers while the system
is running to determine what is wrong with a board. The problem I'm having
is attempting to determine if an address
is addressable and would not cause a system panic when accessing. I'm
looking for functions similar to the
verify_access for user addresses, or if that is not available a method to
determine that an address fault in the
kernel is actually due to a bad board address being used.

The driver has a user program that allows the hardware developers to peek
and poke at address locations.
So it is possible for them to mistype the address.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jeff Fellin
RFL Electronics
Jeff.Fellin@xxxxxxxxxxxx