Re: Fwd: Patch to control VGA bus routing and active VGA device.

From: Jon Smirl
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 14:40:54 EST

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:15:49 -0700, Grant Grundler
<grundler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't care if it gets fixed (or not) since I don't use
> or need to support multiple VGA cards. If someone else (in

Next year we are going to see a lot of multiple VGAs. Depending on
configuration the Nvidia4 chipset can support from one up to eight PCI
Express video cards simultaneously.

I would like to get this fixed in the kernel so that apps like X won't
do it from user space. Every time X does a read/alter/write to PCI
config space from user space is a place where bad things can happen.
The goal of this is to remove the PCI bus probing code from X.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx