Re: [Discuss][i386] Platform SMIs and their interferance with tscbased delay calibration

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 12:46:17 EST

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Venkatesh Pallipadi wrote:

> Current tsc based delay_calibration can result in significant errors in
> loops_per_jiffy count when the platform events like SMIs (System
> Management Interrupts that are non-maskable) are present. This could
> lead to potential kernel panic(). This issue is becoming more visible
> with 2.6 kernel (as default HZ is 1000) and on platforms with higher SMI
> handling latencies. During the boot time, SMIs are mostly used by BIOS
> (for things like legacy keyboard emulation).

Hmm. I see the problem, but I don't know that I'm 100% happy with this
patch, though.

In particular, I don't see why you didn't just put this in the generic
calibrate_delay() routine. You seem to have basically duplicated it, and
added the "guess from an external timer" code - and I don't see what's
non-generic about that, except for some trivial "what's the current timer"
lookup.

Linus