Re: 2.6.10 dies when X uses PCI radeon 9200 SE, further binary search result

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Sun Jan 30 2005 - 16:49:19 EST

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 12:05:27PM -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:32:41 +0100, Helge Hafting
> <helgehaf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Yes, it is a PCI radeon. And the machine has an AGP slot
> > too, which is used by a matrox G550. This AGP card was not
> > used in the test, (other than being the VGA console).
> > Note that there is no crash if I don't compile
> > AGP support, so the crash is related to AGP somehow even though
> > AGP is not supposed to be used in this case.
>
> Can you set the PCI card to be primary in your BIOS or remove the AGP
> card, and then see if it works? It could be that X's video reset code
> for secondary PCI cards is broken.

I set the PCI card to primary, and kept the AGP card. Then I booted up
2.6.9-rc3 which normally crashes hard when X starts.

But now X came up just fine on the radeon! The log indicates
no problems with drm either, I did not get a "pci oom".
I didn't actually test with glxgears, but drm came up according
to the logs.
I did not change the X setup, so the pci card was initialized by
int10 although that wasn't necessary this time.

I have not yet tested wether the AGP card works in this configuration, my
user was impatient so I had to restore a known working configuration.

Helge Hafting