Re: Fw: Re: 2.6.11-rc2-mm2

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Mon Jan 31 2005 - 02:13:28 EST

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 16:31 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> help!
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:56:23 +0000
> From: Sean Neakums <sneakums@xxxxxxxx>
> To: Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx>
> Cc: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: 2.6.11-rc2-mm2
>

> Sean Neakums <sneakums@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > On a PowerBook (PowerBook5.4), when snd_powermac is modprobed during
> > the boot, I get the following. After similar messages for a few more
> > modules, the machine seems wedged.
>
> Brice Goglin's patch fixes this.
>
> However, when I modprobe radeonfb I get:
>
> Jan 29 23:38:16 briny kernel: PCI: Unable to reserve mem region #1:8000000@b8000000 for device 0000:00:10.0
> Jan 29 23:38:16 briny kernel: radeonfb: probe of 0000:00:10.0 failed with error -16
>
> Not sure if this is expected or not on this platform.
>
> With radeonfb built-in (my current working configuration with 2.6.9)
> the screen clears and the machine seems to hang early in the boot.

So, I did more tests. As I wrote previously, it's normal that radeonfb
as a module doesn't work when offb is in the kernel, we don't quite have
an infrastructure to deal with driver "replacement" yet.

It seems -mm2 definitely has some problems regarding loading of modules,
it pretty much fails loading all of them for me with some
kobject_register errors, I haven't really found out what was up, but
then, I didn't have much time neither.

radeonfb built-in operations seem to be ok on my PowerBook3,5 (ATI M9
based), I'll try on a PowerBook5,4 (same as yours) tomorrow hopefully.

Does the machine hang with the screen completely cleared ? Do you see
the penguin logo ? Did you try just using pmac_defconfig ?

Ben.